Friday, July 30, 2010

If I hyphenate my last name through marriage can it be just on paper and use just his last name for everything?

Say my last name is Jones and his is Doe on the marriage certificate I want it to say Jones-Doe but can I go through life with just using Doe. The same goes for our children. On the birth certificate can it say Jones-Doe but can the use just Doe though there life?If I hyphenate my last name through marriage can it be just on paper and use just his last name for everything?
Yes, you can do that. We all have lengthy legal names but seldom use the whole line of names. You can hyphenate your name and your children's names in any way you please and use whatever form of that name you wish.If I hyphenate my last name through marriage can it be just on paper and use just his last name for everything?
IMO that doesn't make sense. Just use his last name for everything and forget the hyphen names. I don't really see the point of hyphenating names in the first place.





If you are not proud enough to just use your husband's last name as your new last name I feel sorry for you.
If your gonna go as Doe, and you want your children to just go as Doe, then why go through the trouble of having Jones-Doe as a legality? Either you take his name, you hyphenate, or you keep your own, no real way to straddle the fence.
Only if you want to confuse everyone. Any legal documents you ever signed, you would have to use your full hyphenated name. That includes applications for ANYTHING, jobs, school stuff, etc. I think it would be a huge annoyance.
You should be able to do that but you will just have to watch out for documents that require your full legal name. For example banks and mortgage papers will require your full name so you would have to use the hyphenated one for things like that.
you can use either, i was married for 15 years, my legal name is hyphenated, but now I use both in a singular way depending on my mood

1 comment:

KiKi B said...

Why does she have to be "not proud enough"? some people choose to do it so they don't have to change every single document that holds their maiden name, to her married name.

Post a Comment