Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My husband and I started our business and now we are having problems with our marriage?

We started our business about a year ago. And now the issue is that he overworks himself and we dont have time for ourselves. I think the problem is that he doesnt know how to divide his time, and he says its because we work together so we spend TOO much time together. Is there a book or a video that can help us with this specific thing?My husband and I started our business and now we are having problems with our marriage?
Book or video?








Good old 'talking about it' fail?My husband and I started our business and now we are having problems with our marriage?
Didn't Bill Clinton have this problem with Monica?





I can think of a few books, but they aren't on this specific issue. Most of them are just for working through relationship problems with constructive problem solving strategies that seem really boring, to me. I think that the issue may be as much that you do not spend enough time outside of work as it is that you two spend too much time together in the work environment. You can do two things: 1) Run trials for the solutions you two have: A) Space for two weeks. B) Additional activities for two weeks. See which of these works best. 2) Spice up the work place. Seriously, I think Clinton and Lewinsky were onto something.
My husband and I have ';been there, done that.';





The lure of being your own boss is strong, but the truth is that you become a slave to the business. It's such a risky venture for a husband and wife to work together; few can do it successfully.





Divide the responsibilities. Draw distinct lines between the business-related issues that you and he are each expected to deal with. Have separate offices. Give each other a 1/2 day away from the business when you can.





Our business got bigger than we were. Customers always wanted something for nothing, wrote bad checks, etc. Employment laws always favored the employee, insurance was costly and finding skilled employees with a sound work ethic was near impossible.





Financially, the business was a nightmare and took its toll on us both. We were making sacrifices we'd never intended to make. Eventually we realized that the business was controlling our lives far too much and eating up all of our time, so we shut it down. What a relief!





It was only by the grace of God that we survived the venture and are back on our feet again. We learned some valuable lessons and our relationship did benefit in the long run, but we never want to go through that again!
Well I think he's wrong because time together working is completely different than 'getting away from it all'. In fact, work subjects shouldn't be brought up if at all possible.


Owning a business is stressful, but a 'Wise' man knows when to walk away and refresh himself.


I own a small business too, and I'm determined to not let it run my life and get burnt out. I wish I had a book to help you, but I've seen classes offered through 'non-profit small business agencies'--relating to different topics in the business world. I think your local job service would know if you have one in your area.
My husband wants to start a business, and this is one reason why I am dragging my feet about it... What will it do to US ?? Married 33 years, but still...... Might I suggest you put the pros and cons down on paper..... I mean, what you would LIKE out of the deal.... What you see HIM wanting out of the deal..... etc...... like taking ONE night a week or even a month for DATE night..... Talk to the man !!! sit him down, and just speak your mind on it !!!!!! Not sure about tapes, videos, books, etc.... but I just imagine there is.... books for everything else under the son !!!! go in peace..... God bless
You need to get a separate job and be away from him more, there is too much together time and that can kill any marriage. Too much of a good thing, etc.
If you guys have extra cash why dont you see a conselor? some one with more exprience. Or even go to a church retreat?
he is right!!! space is a bueatiful thing!!!! you have to have a chance to miss each other!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment